Friday, November 04, 2005

Geese to guard my house


I remember when I was a kid, we used to go visit some people who had geese, and I was terrified of those geese. They would raise a raucous and run at us kids like they were going to do something horrible if they ever caught us. So when I first read somewhere that geese make good watchdogs, I could concur.

Hopefully my acreage will be somewhat remote, and I'll want to have a dog or two and geese. These birds also eat a lot of insects like ticks and Japanese beetles. But if I have a really big tick problem, I'll try guinea fowl too. Supposedly they're the champion tick eaters and also good watchdogs. And it sounds like they are easy to care for too. The babies are called keets. Remember that for when you are playing Scrabble.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, geese make good watchdogs and they will still try to intimidate you. On the other hand, they take care of themselves and don't need much in the way of shelter. We have a flock of Toulouse geese, much like the one in your picture. Found your blog while looking for info on building your own cabin.

    ReplyDelete