Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Another round house in Wales


I generally don't like round houses, but this is another Welsh home that is especially cozy. And the building method I could really relate to:
"Lift logs, prop up, nail together and continue until no longer wobbly."
Straw bale was used to infill between the log posts. I wonder how hard it would be to use slipformed stone instead.

They did most of the building while living in a tent with a baby and a toddler. Now that's the real thing.

7 comments:

  1. Slipforming normally uses concrete, I suspect you mean ranned earth walls. The building process is similar, but much slower. www.rammed-earth.info or www.lowimpact.org/factsheet_rammed_earth_building.htm

    I like the idea of straw bale walls, they are quick, easy, well insulated. Earth would be a good heat sink though, if think enough, like a cave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to see great home plans for sale AND how to build them, check this out:
    http://www.victorian-cottage-plans.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This home reminds me so much of homes I saw when visiting the Gulf Islands of British Columbia. There's a great book of homes built with unmilled logs and repurposed/recylcled materials here:

    http://lloydkahn-ongoing.blogspot.com/2006_02_01_archive.html.

    Really neat stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really fascinated with this house. Judging by the pictures, it sure looks cozy. Plus, it reminds me of houses in movies. Really stunning!

    It must be really fulfilling to build your dream house. I, too, would like to build my own with DIY home building kits readily available today.

    Thanks for sharing. I certainly enjoy reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really a wonderful home. Its my dream home ;)

    ReplyDelete