Sunday, March 18, 2007

Would you, could you on a boat?


Living on a boat on a quiet inland lake has a certain appeal. Here's a simple plan for making a classic shantyboat. Here's the diary of a guy that really built one, so it can be done. Some more free plans. I can count the times I've been on a boat on the fingers of one hand, so I'm a landlubber if there ever was one. Never would consider living on a boat on an ocean coast. I was in Miami for Hurricane Andrew, and I wouldn't want to worry about a hurricane ruining everything even if I could get insurance. Seattle houseboats are talked about in this article. I guess they don't have hurricanes, but it sounds like the same as living in the city, which I would not like at all. Cool Tools has houseboats covered too. Here's a forum with discussions about living on a houseboat.

I would need to have space for garden containers, maybe on the roof, because I would always want to have a garden unless I could use some space on land near the mooring. The floating Spiral Island really caught my fancy, because of the way they integrated the plants onto the platform of floating pop bottles. But I want something that lasts better than the pop bottles, so if I ever come across some free or almost free plastic drums and have access to a lake I would try it.

Thanks to Redneck Structures for the picture. They give away old motorhomes don't they?

3 comments:

  1. That would be something different. Living on a boat for quiet some time. It would take a different mindset to want to live on a boat in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you a lot for this information, and looking forward to reading more in the future, as I have bookmarked your site, this post is really very informative. Thanks
    student link

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you going to Costa Rica Jaco, Fishing or Tours is Always a really exciting idea... so We Recommend spending at least on week in your Jaco Vacation..

    ReplyDelete